Saturday, January 15, 2011

2009 - Blue fin - California Petite Sirah


Place to buy: Trader Joes

Cost: $3.99

Variety: Durif (most likely)

Lori's score: 5/10

Nate's score: 4/10

Comments: 

This is probably the most interesting TJs wine I've had to date. The taste is very unique. The first thing I noticed was the color. Probably the brightest true magenta color I can remember in a wine in some time. It's definitely lighter in color and just more.... well.. magenta.. than a typical red.

Upon smelling the bottle I thought it smelled very sweet. Typically this isn't a great thing, so I was a bit worried. The taste, is again, unique. Now, how to describe it. The good news is there isn't a lot of burn. Some tanin taste, but not all that bad. So from that part for 3.99 its pretty good. Where it fails is just the main taste that you get when you swallow. It's a bit like burnt wood or something and even though there's no burn, that taste (whatever it is) sticks onto your tongue for some time. I dunno. Not outright horrible, but by no means great.

Pairing: 
Probably anything strong that makes it so that taste doesn't sit in your mouth. I'm drinking it by itself and struggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment